Friday, August 04, 2006

It's Always Something...Different!

I keep a website up to date everyday for my son but the last two days were the most frustrating I have had with computers for a long time. It was sluggish, it was freezing, it was not showing images. I defragmented, I cleaned the disk, I deleted temporary files, I scanned for virus's and such...sweep, sweep, sweep. I called the .com company--no problem on their end. The dsl and enet buttons were looking bright and happy. Was it the computer, was it the wireless, was it the internet, was it the program, was it me????? My grandson said to load what I wanted on another computer and Format. I thought that was too drastic. My spy sweeper said I was protected against 145,679 agents and all was well--we quarantined a few on the way but now no problem. Still no workee--I ran into a friend at the store--she said to disable Norton Security--I tried that and it did help a little. Finally I called my dsl server--I had tried them yesterday but tired of waiting. Previously when it wouldn't work at all I would unplug the power or the enet and all was well. BUT THEY WERE BOTH WORKING. I asked the technician if maybe because they were flickering more than usual, was that the problem? He said No, that just meant they were passing in information. He had me do a few things and then go to Status and Statistics--somewhere no other technician had ever taken me before and my computer was at a speed of 32000--he was shocked and said it should be in the millions. He told me to unplug the power for 1 minute and then go back and check and wow, it had jumped up to 1344000!
Now what is it about this unplugging and plugging? It is the same thing for the Satellite if it messes up. Anyway the very nice man had me write down all the numbers and directions for doing it myself again if it happened. But I know next time it will be something...different! Posted by Picasa

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far