Monday, July 16, 2018

Now David is Gone, Too!

My brother Dave passed away yesterday evening.  I had called him at what was to be his new home for the next month or so,  on Thursday.  They were going to be living in a senior care home until he recuperated from his recent Pacemaker operation.  He was very stressed and talking so rapidly I could hardly understand him.  He said he had so many things to learn and he was concerned about Dorothy and the care she had while he was gone.


He has been the chief cook and bottlewasher etc. at their home for a long time.  Earlier in the week he had complained about how well he had everything planned and now things were not happening according to plan and he was upset.  At any rate he was so stressed I decided to give him a couple days to get used to the place before I called back.

Sunday when I called he was on his way to the hospital.  He had not felt well in the morning and finally decided he needed to go to the Emergency Room.  He must have felt really bad because Dave stayed away from Drs and hospitals as much as possible.  However, by the time he got there, there wasn't much to do but take tests and the conclusion was when he died a couple hours later that sepsis had set in.  He lived a long healthy life for most of his life.  He did well.  Jake, his friend, was fixing the sprinklers at Dave's house and then went to the hospital and was there when he died.  Helen, the next door neighbor, decided to go to the hospital to see what was happening, as all Dave's family had gone back to Vernal.  She called me with the news that he did not look well at all, he did not even want to open his eyes.

Dave was always the tease, always trying to make you laugh.  When we had the church cottage meetings in our home I was the one to do the Sacrament Gem.  I had to stand and recite this little rhyme.  While I was talking he was doing something behind my back that he thought would make me start giggling, anything to make me start giggling.  Mom was always after him for teasing one of us it seemed.  Funny other memories I have like climbing up into the attic with David when I was only about 5 or 6.  He figured out that he could push the small window open and reach snow on the roof and throw it on the heads of those who passed below.  He was always looking for some kind of mischief.  Of course, there was the time I fell asleep on the toilet, (really young, say 4) and I awoke to Dave and my sisters and their friends all looking at me...as the story goes Dave charged money for them to come and see me.  We all remember the Kayo doll he got for Christmas but now I do not remember who Kayo was or why he would want the doll.  I will have to search that on the internet.


Me in the bonnet, Dave on the side.  I don't remember Dave ever doing anything mean or unkind to anyone, just a tease and looking for mischief when we were all young.

I just had a memory of the record that Dave played over and over and over the summer after he met Dorothy at Utah State.  It was "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now".  In those days we had one record player and it was in the living room and no tv, of course, so the record could go on and on and on...and it did.



Dave married Dorothy and never completed college.  Instead, he was to work in the Miles City Andersons Store and they had an apartment above.  He was actually a great store manager and was eventually given the new Ferrell's to run in Idaho Falls.  Our uncle Lorin built them a home and they have lived in that home ever since.  They were never able to have children for some reason and have spent their life square dancing, travelling, going back and forth to Arizona, golfing, for Dave, and Dave always had lots of friends.  He was frugal but Dorothy could have about anything she wanted, if at all possible.  They attended church faithfully and David said they had the record for the most sealings at the Temple.  I think they had a happy life.

Dorothy made lots of Book of Remembrances and Dave helped her get all the information she needed and supplies, etc.


David used to like to go hunting with Dad but he gave up any interest in the cabin years ago.  They preferred to go to hotels when they travelled and they did a fair amount of travelling.  I especially remember him telling us about their trip to China and he, of course, was fascinated with the children peeing in the streets.


I always liked this picture of Mom and Dave.  When you think about you really don't live very long with your siblings here on earth.  Dave was 5 1/2 years older than me so I lived with him about 15 years and then it is phone calls or seeing them at weddings, funerals, family reunions.  Dave was always faithful about sending birthday cards and phoning on your birthday.  Even when I was traveling with SBA he knew my cell phone and made that call.  He also realized that Carole and I will not have any income in our post working days and was arranging for Carole and I to share the profits from his house being sold after he dies.  He was sure Dorothy would die first and would not need the money.  That will be nice if it happens.   We did not see each other very often but he was a caring brother.  It is fun to just think about those early family memories, a treasure of our life.  In fact, they say we add details to our memories as we age.  I can remember very vividly being in the car with him when we were at a farm or? and Dave thought he had to drive under the one clothesline for some reason and I was worried our car was too tall.  I can still see him duck as we went under and I thought that was so funny but we did not pull the clothesline down.  Now why were we at a farm and why were we driving under a clothesline??? Fact or fiction, I don't know, but it is a memory I have had for years.


He looks pretty pleased with himself I think.


No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far