Tuesday, October 04, 2022

Julie Andrews in Depth and My Current Activities

 Linda and Gary are vacationing in Hawaii and she recommended "Homework" which is the second book of Julie Andrews life.  I did not read the first one but I have really been enjoying this book and then I have been watching some of the more successful movies.  She acted in or was the voice for over 60 movies so this book was about the Hollywood years.

The thing that I think is most amazing is how talented and able she was when most of her family were so dysfunctional.  She supported and took care of so many family members.  Why would this be so?  She was  beautiful and of course, her singing voice was truly a God given gift.  The fact that she was so stable and able to avoid so many weaknesses that her other family members had was incredible.

In watching Mary Poppins again I appreciated so much more now how incredible that movie was with all the special affects and movie tricks.  Since computers were not yet invented what they were able to do was remarkable and the color and clarity of the movie is amazing.

She was such a versatile actress and she chose her roles so as not get labeled into any one category.  She was truly beautiful with such a lovely voice.  She was extremely teachable and listened to her directors instead of playing the prima dona she was forever learning and perfecting her craft.

Her first role was when she was 13 and she was so good she was presented to the Queen of England.  Her first role in America was "The Boyfriend" on Broadway when she was nineteen.  Her first movie was Mary Poppins when she was only 20 and she received the Oscar for it!!!!

I was surprised at how really beautiful she is on the screen and she had movie after movie with the best leading men at the time.

She had known her first husband Tony since she was a child but when the Hollywood years came they were separated so much because he was also very sought after in the industry in his work doing playlets and etc.  They had one child Emma and divorced in 1967.  She remarried the talented Blake Edwards in 1969 and he had two children also and a very disturbed ex-wife so often had the children living with them and they wanted children together but at 38 she was never able to get pregnant for some reason and they adopted two Vietnamese children as their friends the Andre Previns had before the fall of Saigon.  They all were such a lovely family but each had special needs and challenges and she always tried to do her best it seemed to me.  

Of course, they had money for nannies and schools and homes in different places but it still seemed and insurmountable juggling act keeping home and movies and carrying for family.  She always fought state fright but she never looked as if anything ruffled her.  I was surprised to learn she sweared a lot though.

Anyway I have found this to be a very enjoyable diversion as I am still getting ready to move back to California and getting rid of all my many memory books and getting everything on line.  I could never do it without my iMac I purchase for $300...I see the refurbished are now up to $546.  This was really a great purchase I made but still learning the in and outs.  

Just yesterday I discovered how easy it was to go up and down by using the roller on my mouse.  I am sure I knew that at one time.  And I had to call Kelly to find out how to view my photo stick.  So much to learn, so little time.

These diversions have helped me to stay focused when I am dealing with other problems.  

Yesterday I gifted Treeo with my beloved wooden and marble Chinese Checker Set.  Suzanne, the manager, and Shelly, the activity lady said they were really going to miss me.

I have been so busy with my movies and books and computer I am on a completely different schedule than Marilyn and Jeanne and rarely see them.  But all the things I used to do for them have been taken over by their families so that is good.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far