Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Galveston! Galveston!

When my boss asked me if I wanted a beach vacation, I thought he was kidding! This is sunrise from my patio (a small patio but a patio) and sunset from the beach. I love it here. The beach is warm and balmy even at night! In 1900 there was a hurricane here and 6000 people died. They built a seawall all along the shore line and there has never been such a loss since. This is the seawall in front of my hotel and is an extension of the original. Dan Dailey, Kyle Norheim, and Janet Thomas greeted me when I arrived at the Galveston DRC. Now Dan and Janet are gone for the holiday and will move on to Metiere, LA on Monday. Kyle and I both have our roots in Montana and live in Northern California (only second person I have met from Montana in SBA). Now isn't that a coincidence? Gwenda will join us on Friday. The Center will be open until early December or early January and I am so glad I can stay here until then. Applications are still coming in and the applicants have until January 7. Many are still just coming back from their evacuations. Of course, the processing in Fort Worth and Sacramento will go on for a long, long time after that... Thanksgiving will be at Luby's with a Harry Potter movie later and a run on the beach even later. Alone probably, but after nine years I am getting used to that. Everyone else traveled to Houston or points north. I am happy to stay away from the city and be here at the ocean. Reminds me of San Diego and my other life. It was nine years ago that Richard had his heart attack and died, the day before Thanksgiving. Hard to believe, where has the time gone? This has been a good experience for me. So many people with so many more problems than mine, I am glad I can be of help. Yesterday as I walked on the beach, someone said, "You are someone important, "Disaster Assistance." (on my jacket). I said, "All I do is help people fill out their applications." "Well, someone has to do it, and we are glad you are here, thank you." That was nice. I am listening to Christmas Carols and getting in the mood for the holiday. I have a pull out couch if anyone wants a beach vacation!!! Happy Thanksgiving.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far