Saturday, December 31, 2005

San Diego for the Holidays-Part 1

After loading the Kia Sorrento (nice little rental) with everything I wasn't taking for my holiday I left the car at a wonderful shuttle service near HOUSTON Hobby and flew to San Diego. I would not be coming back to Galveston so I had to check out and take everything with me. Linda met me and outlined our plans for the three days at her home. First off we went to a spectacular community Christmas program that night. Linda also had some of my favorite caramels she had made so it was a great beginning to a six day hiatus from Texas.

 

Next day I was long overdue for a haircut from my favorite stylist. Nadine Babbitt in Pacific Beach has been doing my hair since the mid 60's. At that time I had long red hair and she would pull it up on my head in curls. The kids said they could always tell it was me when they viewed an audience from the rear--Looked like Mrs. Simpson I guess. When I was working in San Diego she would do my hair every 5-7 days but when I moved to the mountains I told her I had to do it myself so that is the way it has been--just a hair cut whenever I am in town.

 

Next Tanner and I went to a mod Jack in the Box in Pacific Beach. They had a fireplace and I could warm my toes while I had my favorite two tacos and pumpkin shake, yum yum. Pacific Beach is where we lived in the 6o's and it was a little run down with typical beach cottages. Now it is really looking good with upgraded homes and many apartment buildings and smart commercial areas. It is an expensive place to live now. We sold our two story home in 1969 for $47,500 and were doing very well. Of course, we bought in to La Jolla for $59,000. I should be rich!!! Maria gave me a medal of Francis of Assisi for Christmas. She had found it in John's camera which Meagan had given her. It is a reminder to me that poverty or wealth is not what is important or what determines your happiness.

Sarah, Tanner and I made snowman cookies--the instructions were not too clear but they tasted good even if they did fall over.

A few of the Pulsipher clan gather round the table. Kelly, Tanner, Gary, Amy, and Craig.

  Linda and Gary ponder one of the wonders at the Reuben J. Fleet Science Center. We had just been to the IMAX viewing of "Santa Vs the Snowman."

  Tanner and Sarah join them as they watch the affects of movement on soil. The whole Center has been redone since I last went there and it is really fascinating.

  Waiting for the "best subs in San Diego" at Poma's. Gary has been eating here since he was a 
teenage surfer. It is a long drive from El Cajon but Tanner says this is where we must eat!

 

Sarah stands outside Poma's. It was well worth the drive as it is a great place to eat and near the very first place I stayed when I visited San Diego in 1956 and applied for a teaching position in the San Diego Unified School District. 

Colleen (a college roommate) and I had taken a month trip from Port Angeles, Washington to San Diego trying to find the perfect place to teach school. We found it on July 3 and applied for positions. Although we went home without jobs we were assured they loved BYU graduates and we would be starting that fall.

The one who made the decision was on vacation but sure enough, contracts followed, and in fall 1956 we both started teaching in San Diego and our first home was a cottage near Balboa Park with delicious oranges hanging from a tree in the patio. Neither of us had ever picked an orange from a tree.

 I had a wonderful time with the Pulsiphers and James had left his Mercedes for me to drive to his new home in Rancho Santa Fe--It was a beautiful drive and I marveled again at how beautiful San Diego County is, especially after four months in Texas! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

The Massey Family said...

I love all the pictures!! I miss my family sooo much! I can't believe Camber is pregnant again, wow! Congratulations! All of the cousins look so happy and wonderful. I miss sunny California...your blog makes me miss home too much! I am in Saigon now...when I get back to HK I will read through your blog to update myself...thanks for posting pictures though, I love it!

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far