Thursday, August 09, 2018

Never Too Old to Learn!

So I have lived here for over 19 years now and I never put my rockers here and it absolutely works better than at the window (where they usually are) or across from the stove.  How did I never know?  Plus I could get rid of one of the end tables which there was not room enough for anyway.  How can I be so clueless?  



Another thing I learned this week is that I solved the mystery of the reaction I was getting the last few months from oxybutynin (which I have taken for well over umpteen years).  I had just been in for the second part of my annual physical in which Dr. Salehi said she thought I was taking too high a dose.  I told her the strange thing is that I have been getting a very dizzying reaction to taking them since this spring so she told me to half it.  I did and this week I told her that was not working so she said to add one pill back in the morning.

Sunday morning I did that and I had such a strong reaction I had to sit and recover.  I was so dizzy and woozy I knew I could not drive and I had just about been out the door to church.  I actually fell asleep as I sat there and when I awoke there was only an hour left so I missed church and went in to see what I could find out from the internet.  If the Dr doesn't know, check the internet, right.

So I got out the vitamin pill bottle, mega red bottle, D 3 bottle, calcium bottle, mini aspirin bottle with all their ingredients so I could read them.  Then I went looking for interactions with oxybutynin.  And it didn't take long to find.  I had switched my vitamin multi to Centrum Silver this spring and it has potassium in it!!!  Oxybutynin should never be used with potassium unless under a physician's watchful care and it is a serious interaction according to the report.

So, easy fix, I take my oxybutynin alone and never with any other pills.  Guess what, no problem at all.  Be interesting to see what Dr. Salehi will say to this.  How did we ever survive without the internet?

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far