Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Great Father

Today I would like to pay tribute to my Dad. He was without a doubt the best Dad a daughter could have. Some things you need to know about him.
In 1934 he brought his family of five (before Carole) from Utah to Glendive, Montana where he was to manage a department store. He and Mom saw that we all attended church and bible school and he quickly became not only a part of the community, but a leader in the community. We rode the Anderson's Float in the 4th of July parade, attended all the band concerts which he supported, went to the Elks picnics and Christmas party which he helped to organize and he taught us to mow lawns and garden. He took us on picnics, took us fishing, took my brothers hunting, saw that we always had a pet dog, took us to Yellowstone Park and Utah to visit our cousins and when I was in high school always drove my friends and me to out of town basketball and football games. My friends were always treated as part of the family.

He taught us the value of work. We worked at the store with him doing whatever he felt we could handle. (I remember making price labels, unpacking boxes, fringing scarfs and later taking inventory long before I was old enough to clerk.) Later I worked as cashier and organized and paid invoices.
His great teaching which always stuck with me was "to always be worth more than you were paid". Once when I was cleaning a house to earn a little cash he told me there were better ways for me to earn money and he helped me get a job caddying and sweeping greens at the golf club, much better.
Dad was a very kind and gentle man, he never raised a hand in discipline or said unkind things. Once when he was tired of a record I played over and over and over he just walked over and softly turned it off. I got the message. In junior high when I wanted to understand the Virgin Mary bit he found something I could read and understand before he discussed it with me.
When I had my first car accident (car slid into another at the stop sign) he was called and came right down. He did not criticize or yell or make me feel badly. He did, however, insist I drive the car home, instead of him. I think he wanted me to know he trusted me and I needed to regain my confidence.
We used to eat dinner at home every noon instead of at night. And always I remember Dad dancing around the kitchen with my Mom and giving her a kiss before he went back to work. Dad loved us and he love our Mom and we knew it. My aunt Erica once gathered us together and told us to be careful what we asked our Dad for. He would want to get it for us. I have long since forgiven him for selling the Shirley Temple doll that was to be my present. He just did not understand the significance of a Shirley Temple doll over just a doll.
Dad had about three children in college at a time for quite a long time. He always wanted us to have a job but this usually just took care of spending money. Lucky for us, he owned a store with great brand name clothes and we never felt deprived. But he worked long and hard to see that his family was provided for and educated.
Being the leader in our little branch of the Church for so many years could not have been easy. He had to prepare so many talks and guide so many people while he ran a store, was a leader in the Elks, on the school board, chamber of commerce, etc. He was a leader who served well but never for his own glory, always modestly, doing whatever was needed.
A kinder, gentler, more caring father could not be had. A better example for his family and community does not exist. I only wish my children could have known my Dad as their grandfather. He died when my youngest was only 2 and my oldest was only 8 but not before he had instilled in John a great love for fishing and Montana.
Happy Father's Day, Dad, I love you.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far