Friday, October 27, 2000

Oslo and then to Sea, London, and Home-Day, 18, 19, 21, 22


After spending more time in Oslo in the morning for last minute shopping  we drove to Kristiansand to board our 'mini-cruise' across the North Sea to England.  The liner had bars, restaurants, and a nightclub.  All cabins had shower and private facilities.  It was very luxurious.  We had an inside cabin and it was small but nice.  We spent most of our time outside.

I am not sure why we didn't take pictures but we had one of the most lavish buffets I have ever had.  The food was marvelous.  We sat at long tables and I was tucked way in the end and so had to pass everyone at my table when I would get more food.  One of the men (not from our group) was at the end and slightly drunk.  When I came back from loading my plate the last time he said he would not let me by unless I kissed him so all eyes were on me to see what I would do.    I quickly kissed him on the cheek and he let me pass.  My party was very surprised.  I think he was, too.  But what would you do, start a scene???

Day 19 we spent at Sea and wandered the ship and viewed the scenery.  There was much you could buy, of course.  After we docked at New Castle, our coach brought us back to London, arriving in the late afternoon.

We stayed at the same hotel we had stayed when we arrived and we did some evening touring and I remember I had the Garlic smashed potatoes with the Salmon and cream sauce again.  I wish I could duplicate it.

 
 '

Our driver and Tour Director--this is truly a nice way to travel, but it is not cheap.


We took a final picture before leaving our Coach.  It was an interesting group, mostly older people, of course.  There were a few single young people, however.  The most interesting of the group was a lady with her black husband, he was most friendly and helpful and the couple from Australia.  They are the second man on the right with the blonde wife behind him.  He was very funny and they were lovely to talk to.   Made me want to see Australia.   There was also an older well traveled couple which gave us lots of advice.  We were the novices it seemed.

Day 20 we went to the airport, back to Houston and then finally on to San Diego.  The flight back was very tiring and we were so glad to get home.  It was a wonderful trip but it was getting very long and that trip across the ocean is very, very long.  It was Day 22 when I finally said farewell to Denice.  We had to settle our money later as she had borrowed a lot from me since she had such a problem with her ATM and never wanted to go into the exchange places.  I was very appreciative to her for letting me travel with her.  It was very pleasant.   Four years in the planning and then her daughter bailed out on her.  Many thanks to James and Camber for giving me the trip of a lifetime.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far