Thursday, October 19, 2000

Stockholm to Hamar-Day 10

My ancestors did come from Stockholm.  They also came from Karlstad which is where the next two pictures are taken.  Notice I have my red and black on--just like the Stockholm ladies I thought. 
 

As we were going by in the bus I noticed the name of Karlskoga on this trailor, this was another city my relatives came from.
 
Our destination for the night was to be this Scandic Hotel in Hamar.  I loved the comforters and warm towels we found in all the hotels.  Denice like to sleep on her comforter but I liked it on top of me.

Another city we spent some time in was medieval Orebro and I had heard my aunt's speak about Orebro, yes we had relatives from there, too.  After Orebro and Lake Vanern we drove through Varmland which we had many relatives from. 


We drove along the Glomma River before finally reaching the Sweden/Norway border marked by this huge monument.   Denice's ancestors came from Norway and the reason she had been planning this trip for four years.  I was anxious to compare Norway and Sweden.  So far I no knew why I liked pine trees, red houses, and candy, plus wearing red and black.  All part of my dna I guess.

Finally we reached Hamar which became a trading center in the 11th century and an advanced city as far back as 1849.   Within walking distance from the hotel was a huge Cathedral, and also the oldest operating paddle steamer in the world plus the Viking Ship which is a new tourist attraction. 

This is Viking Hall of the Winter Games.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far