Monday, March 27, 2023

The Lyft, Uber Dilemma

Today my appointment with Mohs Surgery Doc was at Shiley Pavillion on Torrey Pines.  Linda and James were both going to be out of town and my insurance provides rides so I called for an Uber.

All worked fine until we got there and driver wanted to drop me three buildings and a parking lot from where I was going.  I finally got him to take me back to Shiley and he said he would pick me up at same place.

Ha!  At 11:45 I was told my driver was on the way and then he had arrived.  Problem is it was Marcos and not Carlos and he had same problem as morning driver and had instructions to pick me up at wrong place.

I talked with Scan Transportation and she proceeded to keep me on line while we went through three or four Uber drivers who all had same problem and could not find me.  I was now very tired and frustrated.

She was stoic and could not understand the problem but extremely sympathetic and determined to get me picked up.  Finally Samy, a Lyft Driver was called and I said the magic words that told him where I was at.  I said, closer to the Torrey Pines Golf Course, and he came right to me.  

By now I was frantic and had James and Mary ready to come pick me up ( he was back from SL) if this one did not find me but he did.  It was almost 1:30 before I got home.  What an experience.

However, I did find out why there was a problem.  The Lyft driver, a little younger than Meagan, said the data that Scan sent to them showed the big area of all the Scripps buildings but not the numbers except for the main building which is 10666...I was at Shiley 10820.  He said the data would point to a place a little north or south of the main building but unless someone gave them more of a clue they could not see addresses, etc.  He said he would have known instantly if I had said next to the big hotel by the golf course.

Meantime, the lady from Scan thought it was Uber and Lyft data that was bad and she said we will never know what the problem is unless you get to ride back with one of them, weird right?  Is this Scan driver stuff new or just a problem here where there are so many buildings in a row???

UPDATE:  When I wrote a letter to Scan and explained the problem they treated it as a grievance letter from me, apologized, and never learned a thing from it.  So I am never using their transportation again.

 

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far