Thursday, May 04, 2006

Grandma and Jacob at the San Diego Zoo!

Before leaving for Lake Almanor, Jacob and I were privileged to have a day at the San Diego Zoo which was just a delight. We started off with the trip on the bus and were able to sit on top because it was a gorgeous sunny day. After this we did something unusual, we had a breakfast of scrambled eggs, pancakes and bacon! We spent all day and about the only thing we missed were the eagles and hippos. Jacob is a great companion and I always see the animals in a new light through his eyes. The gorillas were especially playful that day. I couldn't help but reflect how the Zoo had changed over the years. When I arrived in 1956 to teach school, the Zoo was the place to go with a new date or a group of singles on a weekend. It was much smaller and we never took the bus. The monkeys and sea lions were the big attraction. You could easily walk the whole Zoo in a couple of hours... When I took my first son in 1961 he was able to sit with the rabbits and the guinea pigs in the Children's Zoo and they had a baby elephant you could pet. Nothing quite so liberal now. The newest attraction this year is a Habitat setting with several different species together in one area.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far