Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Physician, Heal Thyself!!

After the cruise I slept all Sunday afternoon and then took Bandido for a walk. I immediately tripped and fell flat on my face as I reached the sidewalk. My hand is bruised but it wasn't as painful as when I sprained it so I just used ICY HOT on that.
My lip though was split quite deeply with a inch long strip of lip 1/8th to 1/4th inch wide dangling loose. What to do? Stitches? I had had enough of them on my nose so I washed it good with soap and water and hopefully got out all the grit and then kept dobbing at the bleeding and trying to straighten out the lip piece (it kept curling and turning over). I actually stayed up until 2 am working on it every half hour to keep it from bleeding more and trying to lay it down in the gash so it would heal itself. (Good thing I was reading a good book on Barbra Streisand.)
Don't use Mederma! It made it red and nasty--then I read not to use it on an open wound. But the Neosporin, q tips and tongue worked best to straighten it out and finally get it positioned to stay. I prayed it wouldn't look too bad and would heal and finally went to sleep. When I woke a couple of times later in the night I had to clean off more blood but the positioning was staying quite well. Since then I have been drinking from a straw and avoiding eating (except for Tanner's Scotcheroos which were wonderful--he used Guitard Milk Chocolate chips instead of Nestles--really good!)
Interesting dream I had though after going to sleep feeling sorry forself and my misfortunes. I had been talking to my girlfriend Myrna earlier on the phone and I dreamed we were walking and then she disappeared and I was alone in this very dark scary place. I called and called for her and then called and looked for anybody but I was very alone and and very scared and then someone took my hand--I looked and it was Richard! He was smiling warmly and I felt safe and all was well and I wasn't frightened anymore. Nice way to end another of my 'all alone' nightmares.
If my lip heals beautifully, I will become a Plastic Surgeon!!!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far