Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Carly Simon

This past week I have enjoyed listening to "Boys in Trees" the memoir of Carly Simon.  I have also gone into Google and YouTube to learn more and listen to her music and interviews.  It has been most interesting.


She has written over 50 diaries and began this practice at a young age so her memories that she wrote have to be what she felt and saw at that time.  She is a very sensitive and interesting writer and I really have so much more appreciation for her music and singing voice and things she wrote about.   Very large vocabulary which she worked at and very expressive...


She had a habit of writing down interesting phrases or comments that she heard and later worked them into her music.  I remember so many of her songs very well but did not remember that she was married to James Taylor for over 10 years...that was most interesting.  I also was surprised about the "Mockingbird" song she and James sang together in the 70s as I sang a longer version of it to my babies in the 60s!!!


The fact that she had so many insecurities though she appeared outgoing was a revelation and endeared her to her fans though that is the reason she did not do much touring.  I did not know she had written music and sung for movies, did a musical, wrote children's books and that she could sit and play the piano while singing, without any music, of course.  Exceptionally talented.  When I saw her sing with Taylor Swift I could see they were built a lot alike.  Both have very long legs.  Carly is 70 and lives with a Dr. for the last 10 years, 13 years her junior, in the home she and James Taylor created on Martha's Vineyard and raised their two children in.  He has not spoken to her for the last 40 years...but she spoke very lovingly of him.  She was married to one other man later which she appeared to be happy with.


I don't think her music will every really die...and she was the singer of "Wee Hours in the Morning" one of my favorite songs in "Sleepless in Seattle".  I did not realize that.


She admitted that Warren Beatty is the subject of her second verse  of "You're So Vain" but has not disclosed except to close friends who the other two are.


You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and...
You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? don't you?
You had me several years ago when I was still quite naive
Well you said that we made such a pretty pair
And that you would never leave
But you gave away the things you loved and one of them was me
I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee, and...
You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? don't you? don't you?
I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee, and...
You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? don't you?
Well I hear you went up to Saratoga and your horse naturally won
Then you flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun
Well you're where you should be all the time
And when you're not you're with
Some underworld spy or the wife of a close friend
Wife of a close friend, and...
You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? don't you? don't you?

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far