Monday, February 15, 2021

The Stealing of Flags

Saturday morning when I was sitting on the edge of my bed and facing my window and making a text message call I noticed my flag was missing from my pole and only the corners were left.  In the next moment I saw that my neighbor's flag across the street was no longer flying.

I quickly brought in the flag pole and called my neighbor John to see if he knew his flag was missing.

What I have learned since.  There has been a number of yard flag stealing in Rancho Bernardo and North Park that we know of.  No one has an idea of who is doing it.  Police flags such as BLM have also been taken.

They could have taken my whole pole and not cut my flag as they did, if they wanted a whole flag.  They could have taken my neighbor's flag without taking the lanyard etc.  

This is considered a hate crime nationally.  My house is on the corner and there is a street light so it was easy for them to see what they were doing which is why they maybe did not take the flag at the end of the cul de sac.  

Is it just teen agers cruising on a Friday night making mischief or is it something more sinister?  The police said they have no clue.

Sadie did sit up at one point in the middle of the night and yet did not want to go out like she usually does, so she must have heard them.  I heard nothing even though the flag post is only about 12 feet from my bedroom.

Update: Feb 21, 2021

It did hit the news and a couple who had cameras showed the culprits.  They looked like adults in hoodies.  They have not caught the culprits or have an explanation of why.  The neighbor to John gave him a new flag but it was not the size needed and so John gave it to me.  I love seeing my flag waving again.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far