Thursday, November 01, 2007

Bandido





I heard on the TV today that people and pets become very much alike in personality, so I have been thinking about what is similar with Bandido and I. It has been 11 years we have been together. For the most part he is much more patient than I am but when he feels neglected he really lets me know. If I forget to let him in from the cold, he really scolds me. If I haven't put his food out yet, he complains. Yes, I guess that is like me, I want what I want when I want it. For the most part though I think we are both pretty mellow. And we are both walking slower, taking more naps and I think we kind of look alike, don't you?

I read once that Lhasa Apsa dogs were watch dogs for the monks. And he is certainly that (he is part Lhasa and part Maltese). If I get up in the middle of the night and come to the computer, he gets himself up and comes and lays beside me till I am done. If he is outside and I am in the kitchen, he keeps a watchful eye through the patio door to see what I am doing. He waits beside the door of the room I am cleaning ready to follow me to the next room. The other night when I let a pot of veggies burn he barked and barked and would not leave the kitchen till I came and took care of it.
And, of course, there was the "Bandido to the Rescue" story I like to share with the granchildren. Camber's big dog had stolen the prettily dressed teddybear off my bed and was in the midst of tearing it apart on the patio off my bedroom. I screamed and went after the dog and Bandido immediately ran out and began retrieving the pieces of teddy bear and her clothing and running them in and dropping them in the bedroom and then going out for more until all the pieces were safe inside again. So smart.
Whether we are alike or not, he is surely a great companion and friend. It is amazing how he can sense my moods and be so sympathetic and concerned. And I swear he can understand exactly what I tell him.


Years earlier Camber dressed him up as a surfer and took this picture.  Such a darling puppy.

1 comment:

The Massey Family said...

I am not sure if you guys look similar, but I guess there is some resemblance in the hair!

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far