Friday, November 30, 2007

Christmas Time again...



"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!" (Yes, I think in song all the time). Decorations go up right after Halloween because I love the lights of the Christmas tree and other decoration lights along with the burning warmth of a wood fire to make my evenings warm and cozy for as long as possible. Sometimes I don't take decorations down till February. This early prep for Christmas started when we went skiing every year during the Christmas and New Year weeks and so started using an artificial tree to avoid having to take it all down (for safety reasons) just before we drove to Park City. I just have room for the top half of the tree, now...anyone need a bottom only?

And with the DVR I can make sure I have a Christmas Show or a Christmas program to watch every night as well. It's a good time of year...

And earlier this week I had this thought while shopping at the Dollar Store...

When I was a child we would go to an Elks Christmas Program every year and as we were leaving they would give each of us a brown paper sack and it would always have the same things inside. There would be an orange (very precious to us), hard ribbon candy and creme drops. I especially loved the creme drops so when I saw a bag of them at the Dollar Store I was very excited.  I had not had one of those in years.

The front of the package says "Low Fat Candy"--I checked the label on the back and it said 10 calories!! Yea, I won't break my diet! I quickly ate 4 of them --I mean, only 40 calories!! I was curious as to what they were made out of to be a whole bag for a dollar and only 10 calories, so when we arrived at the restaurant I took them inside to read the ingredients. I was thinking "No wonder they could give us so many, they are cheap and made out of something strange, not like Hersheys or M & Ms". The package also said they had been making them since 1919 so I knew they were the same thing we had as children.

Imagine my dismay when I read more closely and it said 110 calories! Yikes, there went my diet. And it is chocolate, sugar, corn syrup and all the usual suspects.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far