Thursday, May 07, 2009

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Last week I started getting smoke in my house from my wood stove. I wasn't sure whether it was a leaky stove, bad wood or what. I sort of ignored it till Marjorie came over and I realized how bad it really was. After a few phone calls I learned of two problems I definitely had and a third I might have.
#1 The sealing around the stove door was coming apart and not secure. The owner of the 'Main Street Fireside and Garage Door' showed me how to replace it, sold me the materials I needed and I completed that task myself.
#2 He asked me about the grate around the upper chimney and could I reach it and give it a few whacks. No, I could not. Then I remembered a friend had removed the grate years ago and then the last chimney sweeper had put it back on. He explained it really isn't needed where I live and the problem is it becomes coated with creosote and has to be cleaned. Mary Anne told me she used to shoot a bee bee gun at hers. I had another chimney sweeper come (should be done once a year). Anyway he cleaned it well and took the grate off.
#3 Some of my wood has too much moisture in it so I need to be more selective.
So all is well this week but I can still smell the smoke! So much I am still learning about living in the mountains.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far