Friday, May 01, 2009

The Quilt

When I came to Lake Almanor 10 years ago I was enchanted with all the quilting that is done here and all of the listening to books on cd or tape while quilting (it is too hard to watch tv and quilt). I immediately enrolled in a beginner's class of quilting "Big Bear Lodge" and chose colors to match on original painting I have of a victorian home. I thought this would be a great quilt and picture for my guest room. I also became a regular at the local library and found it was brimming with tapes and cds. I quite enjoyed this new hobby and Linda helped me get a new sewing machine to help with the project. All went well until one row of bear paw squares did not match well. I became discouraged, put it away and then became distracted by working disasters for half of each year and catching up on everything else when I was home.
Now that I have more time for myself I decided to get it out and try again. Fortunately I overcame the original problem and decided to finish the quilt this time, but my memory of certain skills and what to do next overcame me and I went to the quilt shop for answers. And lucky me, they are redoing the class this month and anyone who took the class before can sign up for half price. A quilter in the shop said "you really learn the basics the second time around, it makes so much more sense, you will love it" so I signed up. Now I can finish my quilt, and who knows, if I really learn the skills this time, I might just try again. This is a picture of half of the center of the quilt (don't look too close).
The other part of quilting I love so much is the listening to cd books. This week I have enjoyed John Grisham's "The Appeal" (that will scare you to know how we are manipulated) and a very delightful love story and WWII memoir "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" and "Beyond Tuesday Morning" which was a post 9ll love story. You not only accomplish something but save your eyes from all that small print. I find the cds are also a great way to put me to sleep at night and better than tv while getting dressed in the morning and doing my chores.
So goes another exciting chapter in the life of an old lady.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

C.J. said...

Wow, it looks amazing to me.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far