Thursday, April 23, 2009

And the Lights Went Out

For the first time in my life I was the first one to call in a power outtage. Of course, there are not too many people here this time of year. At any rate 1 1/2 hour later the best looking guy I have seen in a long while came to my door to check out the problem. If I had been 30 years younger I would have been embarrassed to have him see me in "my just got out of bed look", of course, if I had been 30 years younger I would probably have looked pretty good regardless.
Anyway while he was checking things out and could find nothing wrong, (I am sure they are always suspicious of an only call, especially from an old lady) another call came through so he went that direction to see what was wrong.

He checked back shortly and told me there had been a fuse blow at the riser--the riser he explained was the box where the out of the ground electricity changed to under the ground electricity (which is what I have).

Anyway I greatly appreciated the service and learned two things about power outtages.
(1) Call immediately
(2) Have a land line phone you can plug in. A land line phone (as was explained to me) goes directly into the phone socket and there is not an answering machine or cordless phone attached to it. AND THE IMPORTANT THING is it will work even though your power is out. Your cordless phone will not, and eventually you will need to power your cell phone so it will not. Anyway it was explained that when living in the mountains you should definitely have a land line phone on hand!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far