Sunday, April 19, 2009

And...

Another of life's simple pleasures for me has been completing a task. And the big task we have just completed, thanks to Mitch's help, (he traveled all the way up here twice and worked tirelessly) is getting the yard fairly clean of branches, twigs, pods and needles (a fire hazard). Mitch had to haul all the debris to the back of the yard, except for the long branches which needed to be stacked and will later be cut for kindling and... pile the twigs, also used for kindling. Next comes the breaking and chopping of the kindling to under 18 inch lengths.
This is such an important part of the yard clean up, the creation of the kindling. I will never forget the difficulty in getting a fire started in my wood stove after I first moved in. It could take me as long as a half hour to get it burning. Now I can have it blazing brightly before you have time to settle yourself in a chair. That kindling is the key (plus a chunk of fire starter). Of course, you realize a wood fire is not necessary. I do have a marvelous new furnace which was put in a few years ago with a humidifier even. But a wood fire is another of life's simple pleasures which I enjoy as often as possible, (saves a lot on the propane bill, too).
But what a joy to look out at a clean back yard. And for all of those anxious to hear how the river rock patio made it through the winter--well, it did. Still very solid, though the sand between is not quite so clean as it was. Now I just need to handle the sloaping dirt banks around it, another task for another day...ah, life is good. As President Naylor once adviced me, as long as we always have too much to do, we won't have time to get in to trouble and we will never be bored.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far