Monday, June 28, 2010

Lovely Linda has a Birthday!

 I think it was during WW II that this song became famous.

Beautiful Linda Sue.


When I go to sleep
I never count sheep,
I count all the charms about Linda.


And lately it seems
in all of my dreams,
I walk with my arms about Linda.


But what good does it do me for Linda
doesn't know that I exist?

Can't help feeling gloomy,
think of all the lovin' I've missed.


We pass on the street,
my heart skips a beat,
I say to myself, "Hello, Linda."


If only she'd smile,
I'd stop for a while
and then I would get to know Linda.

But miracles still happen
and when my lucky star begins to shine,
with one lucky break,
I'll make Linda mine.

I knew exactly what I was going to name our first daughter.  When I lived in Glendive, there was a college girl who lived a block away and her name was Linda and she was so pretty with long pretty hair.  I was just in grade school but I always loved the name Linda because of her.  It was so much softer than my name Janet.

Linda was one of those remarkable children who always wanted to do the right thing.  She enjoyed sleeping, she enjoyed eating, and except for always wanting her Binky with her when she was a baby, she enjoyed being anywhere we went.  She didn't have to be at home to sleep.  Johnny never liked to sleep anywhere.
 So this was most refreshing.  

She was always ready to do whatever Johnny wanted her to do.  In fact, I remember so well when I asked her what she wanted and she said, "What does Johnny want?"  Linda was always sweet and eager to please.  John was often obstinate and wanting his own way but Linda was thoughtful and accommodating.  At fifteen months she was the wonder of the hospital ward as she trotted herself to the potty.  (They found she had a double kidney on one side.)

From the time Linda was a tot she was a little homemaker as well as a peacemaker.  She helped with the cleaning, dishes, baby tending, willingly and well. She always liked to make her own things and began to sew and cook at a very early age. 

It seemed whatever Linda tried, cooking, sewing, crocheting, knitting, quilting, whatever, she could do it and do it well without a lot of supervision and she had the desire to do these things, always busy.  We always knew Linda would be a great Mom and housekeeper.  What we didn't know is what a wit Linda had.

So many time she would quickly say the funniest thing.  And then in college the letters she would write home, I would just laugh at laugh at the things she would say.

Linda would be the one who would tell everyone when something on tv was inappropriate to watch.  Linda always gravitated to the good.  She was never drawn to the baser side of life.  She also likes to see the good in others and always tries to say something kind, she reminds me of my mother in that way.

What a blessing Linda has been in my and Richard's life, from day one, and also to her husband and family.  Always so dependable, so kind, so sweet.  "I count all the charms about Linda".  And as Craig said, she is really Christlike.  She is also very capable in the office, in the home, in the church, in the community.  Happy Birthday, Linda, you are loved1

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far