Thursday, August 05, 2010

Childhelp

I was watching a true movie tonight. It was the founding of Childhelp 50 years ago.  Childhelp is especially for abused children.  They are taken from parents and raised in a rural type village with animals to love and caring teachers. Obviously it is a very affective organization but with child abuse being reported every 10 seconds there is no way they can save all the children.

I had to stop watching, I couldn't bear to watch the examples of parenting and abuse that they showed.  I only saw one instance of child abuse in my life when my neighbor took his belt to his daughter, but I never forgot that look on his face or the helpless look on her face.

When I see a child being yelled at or mistreated in a grocery store I walk over and stand nearby until they stop.  I remember when Johnny threw a tantrum in a grocery store and Richard just picked him up, yelling and screaming, and carried him out and walked with him till he settled down.  The cashier told me that was so refreshing instead of seeing the yelling at children she usually saw.  I am afraid I became impatient and yelled at the children, I am so sorry for that.  Richard only yelled once that I remember, when he was out of work and trying to do something in the little office he had set up in the playroom and the children were out of control.

Of course, the kind of abuse they were referring to in the movie was so much more than yelling.  It makes you sick to see defenseless children being so mistreated.  It appeared that so often the mother sides with the 'boyfriend' because she does not want to be alone and the child is not believed or taken care of.  So sad.

Johnny and Maria were both tantrum throwers and I did not know how to handle it well at all.  I've decided the most important classes they could give in high school are parenting, auto mechanics, meal planning and housekeeping, high finance (investing in stocks, etc) and money management instead of algebra and geometry and such,

I was one lucky child and so were my children, if you go to Childhelpusa.org and read the statistics you will know why I say that.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far