Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Richard! 79 Years

After Richard passed away in November 1996, many memories were received in the way of cards, condolences and letters.  Today I will share some of the memories from our daughter Maria about working with her Dad.  She worked closely with him for many years in the business in many different areas.

"I started working for Dad at a very young age - or I should say he started having us work for him.  He often had jobs he needed done that were perfect ways for kids to make pocket money,  probably it all began with stuffing envelopes.  I can remember getting a penny a piece, and I got quite fast at it.  One of my favorite recollections is getting to go to work with Dad on a Saturday at Mansfied Mills, all by myself.  I must have been very young, maybe 6 or 7.  I can't remember what I did while I was at the office, but I remember the rest of the day very well.  We stopped at the gas station on the way to lunch, and I was so impressed with the fact that everyone knew Dad.  Some called him Dick, others called him Mr. Hardy but he was treated as though he was very important and he treated me as though I was very important, introducing me to everyone as his 'beautiful daughter'.  Then we went to John's Waffle Shop for lunch, where again, everyone knew him and again he introduced me as his 'beautiful daughter'.  After that day, I don't think I every looked at my Dad the same way again...

I started working at the La Mesa office on a regular basis in tenth grade - after I got my driver's license.  I can remember I didn't get paid very much, Dad didn't want to be accused of nepotism.  He would make up for the small salary in other ways as in allowing me to use his gas card.  And it was OK since he was always willing to give you a job, if you were willing to work where you were needed most.  I learned many of the different jobs that way.  Jones Mortgage was a bigger office, with several girls working in different parts of the loan processing - not like when he started Choice Mortgage where one person followed the whole loan.

I can remember when I was learning the beginning of processing private loans, one of the girls gave me some general instructions and then I went at it.  The girl who was training me flagged a lot of the areas in my package and then gave it back to me, it kind of depressed me that I did such a poor job.  Afterwards my Dad had walked by my desk and could see what was happening, he sat down next to me and told me a story about when he worked one summer for the forest service.  He helped clear fire hazards from the forest.  When he was being trained they would have the trainees go through and clear the hazards and then the trainers would follow them and attached red flags to the areas they missed and then make them do it over again.  He said he hated having the flags behind him and so got really good at it really fast.  He went on to explain this procedure in training me to process loans was the same principal.  Seeing the mistakes I made so obvious would help me to remember what needed to be done, and I would get better at it quickly.  He had this natural ability of making people feel really good about themselves, although I was his daughter, it certainly didn't apply to me exclusively.

My Dad was an excellent personnel manager - he might have missed his calling - he was amazing at making all the girls feel needed and encouraging them when things got difficult at the office, whether it was business related or employee related.  I can remember many times listening to him talk to different employees at their desks, mostly listening to their problem, giving them understanding and helping them to feel better, even at my young age, I was absolutely amazed at his patience, kindness and generosity of other's feelings.

Another time, I was in charge of a complete mailing.  My Dad was out of the office, and I wanted to impress him with my ability to get it completed and mailed off in record time.  I did, however, when he got back he realized that I missed one letter that was supposed to be inserted..it was the most important letter of the whole mailing and with out it, the mailing didn't even make sense.  I felt terrible, and there was nothing I could do to fix it..the mailing was already at the post office being processed.  Dad was so amazing..he knew how badly I felt, there was nothing he could have said to make me understand anymore had badly I failed..instead he told me that it was OK, he knew the best person for the job was the one who made a huge mistake..because they'd be the one to make sure it never happened again.  He hid his disappointment well, and left me feeling as though he had complete confidence in me.  I never did make that mistake again.

Maria wrote many other interesting experiences working with Dad which should be shared another day.  She finished her letter about Richard with these final words.

...Interestingly enough though, the worse things got, the more Dad read and shared his insights and testimony.  When I was having a difficult time with money and he felt badly that he had none to give, he had great wisdom to share instead.  he always stayed positive in his views and was a wonderful example of perseverance, integrity and courage.

My dad may have died penniless, but he was wealthy to me, wealthy in all the things that mattered.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far