Thursday, August 12, 2010

Galveston by Suzanne Morris

 The one upside to being alone is you can read as much as you want and no body cares. Read all night, read all day, no matter. I am always happy to find a new author. Usually I choose books to read by the author but I saw the thick book 'Galveston' on the shelf and couldn't resist. Glad I didn't. When I was in Galveston for a few months after Hurricane Katrina I was so curious about the city. Why wasn't it more prosperous than it was? This book, though a romantic novel, was also historically correct about Galveston at the turn of the century and I learned a lot about how Houston became the main port instead of Galveston and why.


Galveston Wall-wonder how it looks after last year's devastation.
It was a great book and now I know there are seven more of hers I can read, how great. I could visualize all the places she wrote about and how it might have looked in the late 1800's in Galveston. Great story, enjoyable reading with a little mystery.

Restored Victorian Home in Galveston-2005.
I also learned that my favorite Anita Shreve has another coming out this fall. She always has a little mystery in her books. I just read her first book 'Eden Close' for the second time. It wasn't intentional but when I discovered I had read it I couldn't stop reading it again, that is the kind of writer she is, hooks you in and you have to find out what is going to happen next. I marvel at these writers who have all these ideas in their mind. Interesting that both of these ladies started writing novels later in life--I guess you need a little life experience before you can write a really great novel.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far