Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fun

Fun? Yesterday in the video Maria had on Facebook, it said to have Fun. So I have been thinking about what is Fun for me? Not going back to the Montana years but just from my adult years in San Diego, what has been fun for me?

I know what it is not—not fishing, not golf, not hiking, not clubs.

When I was a young, single, school teacher in San Diego it was going to the beach or bay every Saturday, just being lazy in the sun and chatting, body surfing, walking, eating, any kind of beach activity, day or night. That was fun.

Also when I was single the years of sailing every weekend. That was fun, really fun, I loved it. Never could get into the motor boating and water skiing but I loved the sailing. That was fun.


Though I wasn’t young, I loved the walking on the beach in Guam in 2002, 2003. You could go for about a mile in back of all the hotels. It was after work but still warm and light. There were so many interesting people to watch, music streaming from the hotels, beautiful sunset. I was sometimes with a friend and talking, but most often alone. The air was intoxicating, the view breathtaking. And then sitting on a chaise for awhile when the stars came out. That was fun. Really fun.

Also as a single, the dancing, the stake dances and then the officer clubs and hotels. After I married, same thing, stake dances, hotels. Richard was a great dancer and I always loved topping off a date night with dancing.

Of course, eating out is always fun, no matter what age...
The music, after Richard died, the music became such an important ‘me’ time…over 200 cds and 100 vcrs and dvds later I still love to turn off the tv and just hear the music, all my favorites, over and over…and if I have a really great book to escape into, yes, that is fun for me.

Also after Richard died, beach and bay biking with Nadine, yes, that was fun.
You can bike from the bay to the beach and it is all flat.
Very nice. 
When the children were little, here again, I think the beach and bay trips were always the must fun for me. I liked it much more than camping.

And then the skiing, loved the skiing years, that was very, very fun. The whole scene. Especially a sunny day and a rhythmic ski with family or friends and the eating in the lodge at the bottom. Yes, loved the skiing years. That was fun.

But all those years in the sun were not good for my fair skin—and I don’t have the body anymore that does well lolling on the beach. I also don’t have a friend with a sail boat and no skiing anymore so except for casual walks on the beach  or beach family gatherings when I am in San Diego—

So where is my fun now? Still enjoy a great book, still enjoy my music, I dance alone, not quite the same. I love the solitude and beauty of the mountains.  When I am in San Diego I enjoy the grandchildren, the family get-togethers, the eating out. That is fun.

But I am alone here…really not much opportunity for the kind of fun I once enjoyed…and no, I don't enjoy the golfing though I live in a Country Club with great golfing facilities and  I don't enjoy clubbing at the clubhouse.

Yes, I need to find new fun besides walking, blogging, family history, organizing my life, and yard work...

"I'll think about it tomorrow!"

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far