Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Because of a disagreement with Dish Network they gave me two free movies.  I chose "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" as one and I actually ended up watching it twice, once last night and once today.

I enjoyed it most the second time, after I understood better what was going one.  The young actor Thomas Horn was incredible and I think what a challenge it would be to raise a child like the one he played.

What a tribute to a father (played by Tom Hanks) who would accept and understand his genius and strange child and contribute to his development by learning and giving him what was needed in his life.  And then for the mother to fill the void from the father's death by also learning what the boy needed.  It would be such a challenge not to override the boy's  zeal and forbid him his need to search and make sense out of what did not make sense.  He had incredible freedom in his search.

I thought the director did an excellent job though I must say the second time around was certainly alot more comfortable understanding the complex plot.  The moral that everyone has loss and sorrow in their life and must learn how to cope and how much better to have others who share the sorrow with you was very well stated I thought.

At Church on Sunday I felt a very strong spirit of love and charity for others and the need we all have to share with family and they share with us.  I find it interesting that in some families there is a strict policy of not giving or loaning money while in others there is a policy of sharing what is needed.  Some people feel just like a Bishop I once heard who stated, "they have only themselves to blame for their problems" which seemed extremely insensitive to me at the time.

Richard and I both grew up with familes who believed in helping, when you can, those in need.  I remember my Dad sending money to Mom's widow sisters even though he was not that rich himself.  One of them, Erica, took us children aside one day and told is to be careful what we asked our Dad for, as he would want to get it for us.  They all had great appreciation for Dad. However, they helped him in the depression when he needed it so badly.  He was returning that kind of love.

I was surprised when one of our members stated her son did not use food stamps when he was having money problems last winter.  I thought it strange that they thought he would need to since they have very ample means themselves.  But as I say all families are different in how they share with one another.  I appreciate that my sisters have been helpful to me and I have been helpful to them.  I am glad that Richard's nieces and nephews and children have remembrances of him always helping instead of the other way around. 

Charity is so much easier for some people to apply to strangers rather than their own family.  I have a hard time understanding that.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far