Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

I will have to visit Richard's grave when I go to San Diego.  Not sure when the grass was trimmed.  The last time I went was in 2009 I think.  Mitch and I unwrapped the flags from Richard's Veteran's gift and from Richard's father's Veteran's gift.  I had never done that.  We were amazed at how well those flags are made, very superior material and beautifully stitched stars.  Merlin's was the 48 stars from World War I.  It would be nice if there were somewhere that Richard's could be flown, it is very large--and would last a long time, but who would want it?   Seems like it should be used somewhere.  It would take a very large flag pole.  We were very impressed.

So what does one do on Memorial Day when there are no family graves nearby or parades in town?  I didn't want to go to the Art and Craft fairs or pancake breakfasts.  So here I am sitting in my cozy bedroom watching documentaries about the end of WWII.  Very interesting and I always learn so much, mostly sad and horrible things that men do in war.  The Japanese were so sure that the Americans would treat their people with horrible deeds after the war that they killing their mothers and family and then themselves.  The Japanese were ever much as brutual as the Nazis in the way they tortured their prisoners and the Russian soldiers were beasts as they conquered Germany.   It is so hard to believe that fairly decent people can be so vicious when in war.  Hard to believe.

While I am watching I am also running back and forth between my printer and my computer as I scan pictures and documents from Mom and Dad's photo album that I may have missed.  I may never see that book again so it is now or never.  I have such a wonderful scanner, it is not too much of a chore.

War is Hell and yet it goes on and on.  Near the end of the war the Japanese ordered everyone over 7 years old to do certain war chores.  12 year olds were putting together weapons.  The Germans had mostly men over 65 and boys as young as 15 carrying on the battles near the end of the war and the older men doing the shooting of Jewish still in the camps.  The Japanese believed death was preferable to surrender.  The Germans kept destroying their own cities so the allies would not get anything positive when they came.  They kept up the elimination of the Jews until Germany had fully surrendered.  Allies were just miles away when many of the Jews met their death.  It makes you realize that these power hungry leaders are the real problems.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far