Tuesday, February 27, 2018

An Evening With Maria

Maria invited me to go to a Book Review with Robert Dallek at Warwicks in La Jolla.  I told her I had a gift card to Urban Kitchen and we could eat first.  I had no idea where Urban Kitchen was, I first thought it was in the Del Mar Heights Mall and then in the mall near Gelsons on Via de la Valle but Maria took a closer look at the card and said it was where we used to go to Chevys across the street and it was called Cucina Enoteca (you had to look at the small print on the card to find this name!)!!

Anyway we used to like to go to Chevy's during the Happy Hour and have their Flautas...so sorry to see them go.  But this was completely refurbished with large windows and looked very classy.  Maria ordered a pizza with dates and I ordered the salmon with interesting things like small tomatoes, beans, greens etc.  I thought it would be too much to eat in one sitting...I was wrong, I ate it all and it was delicious.  Maria had plenty to take home.

I always loved Warwick's bookstore when I lived in La Jolla, which I loved, living in La Jolla, for almost 20 years.  Warwick's is even larger now and even more interesting, I must get over there in the daylight someday.  I was amazed how many people were there for the Review.  The first section of chairs was for the people who had ordered to buy the book.

I would very much like to audio it and will look for it at my "Library to Go".

It was most interesting.  Roosevelt became president in 1932 and was elected for a fourth term.  I was born in 1933 and most remember my hearing  from my childhood friend Shirley (my neighbor) as we walked home from school about how wonderful Roosevelt was.  Her parents must have discussed this a lot and she was very bright.  I was in 3rd grade on December 7, 1941 when Pearl Harbor happened and I do remember listening to Roosevelt on the radio.  He had Fireside Chats and had a very impressive voice that mesmerized you to listen, even as a child.  Since we had no television then it was not very important that he was in a wheelchair because of the polio he had in his 30s.

Dallek was asked to write this book to alert the young people of today what a good president is all about (because of Trump).  Roosevelt is remembered in Glendive where I grew up for the WPA and all the work it brought to the area in the depression...for Social Security...and many other successes.  He also had his failures like the incarceration of the American Japanese in WWII.

Dallek believes firmly an American President needs political experience and much more which Trump does not have.  I hope to listen to his whole book!

I can't believe I am actually going out at night and doing things!!!!  Wow, good for me for feeling so energetic!!!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far