Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Brave Deer

Today while walking home along the road (which is still deep on each side with lots of snow) I could see we had six deer walking toward us.
They had stopped and were eyeing us cautiously to determine what to do. Finally the biggest one started toward us while the others watched. She bravely looked us straight in the eye (on the opposite side of the road) and watched while I calmed Bandido and made him stop barking. When all was ok, she proceeded to walk again, still watching us until we were far enough away and then she just stopped entirely.
When the deer had successfully passed us, the others stepped up and over the snow bank and hung around my neighbor's house until Bandido and I had entered my driveway and climbed the stairs.
It wasn't until I had shut the door that the five deer ventured out on the road again. In the meantime, the one large deer was walking back to meet the other deer. She had never taken her eye off us. When they were all together again they proceeded down the road.
It was as if she was in charge (Mom) and going to protect the others from any harm (Bandido) until all was safe. Very interesting!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far