Friday, March 28, 2008

Nine Year Anniversary!

This weekend will be nine years since I moved in to 709 East Mountain Ridge Rd.
It was on the two year anniversary of Richard's death in November 1998 that Maria drove with me to Lake Almanor Country Club to look at potential home sites. When I didn't like any that were in my price range, the realtor showed us some others. I was immediately attracted to this one and asked to go back. I prayed about it for two days and then decided it was the right place for me so I asked the realtor to negotiate a lower price. The sellers were four children of a couple who had been killed in a car accident on icy Fredonyer Pass (between Lake Almanor and Susanville). I had no idea how I was going to afford the home or get a loan for it. Through the tender mercies of the Lord it all came to be and we were ready to make the move in March 1999.
Gary had driven the truck up and all the Pulsiphers and Valkos plus some of Mark's friends were there to unload the truck. The ground was wet and slushy from melted snow. Kristi was taking pictures on a movie cam but somehow I have never seen those pictures, I wonder where they are???
Except for one shelf of my corner hutch, miraculously nothing was broken. The large desk of Richard's could not be managed into the "office" bedroom and had to sit behind the couch in the dining room until I later took it all apart and put it back together in the "office". The organ had had a few keys missing from my first move from Rancho Bernardo and was now fixed. The grandmother clock was still not working so I placed the time at the moment of Richard's death. Gary worked long and hard at putting a special screen over the TV to protect the surface. In fact, they all worked long and hard with my very heavy furniture to get it all in place where I wanted it. When it was completed I was emotionally over come, it was perfect for me.
I am sure because I don't express things well they will never know how much I appreciated everyone's help at making this move for me. They were all wonderful.
Since I moved in a lot has happened to the house. My sisters came and helped me clean all the mildew off the yet unstained home. Mark did most of the staining of the house with a little help from me. Mark put in mirror doors and a fan in the master bedroom. Mark put slats under the front deck. At least 10 trees had to be removed from the back yard. Mark built a wood shed and filled it with wood. All the Valkos helped me remove all the accumulated branches and needles from years of sitting. The men who cut my trees also came in with a special "man raiser" and cut all the dead branches from the bottom of the remaining 50 trees. Mark and Maria arranged for the prison to recover my two couches and I found another man to recover my rockers and footstools.
Every spring Valkos or men from the ward had to haul my 200 or less bags of accumulated branches and needles to become mulch. The children gave me a snow blower and a barbeque for ease in the winter and fun in the summer. The Valko boys had to clean off my roof and clean out the drains as well as help me with the yard. Later my home teacher Ron Martin has done it for me, as well keep my driveway blown clear of snow.
In 2004 Matt hauled rocks and dirt to create some mourning gardens for me. Marjorie and the Thiesens helped me haul river rock for a path. (I still need some more for the path and the patio I have yet to do). Numerous daffodils have been planted and many things that the deer have already eaten the tops off but hopefully they will spring up again.

In 2005 Mark removed all the carpeting and linoleum and put down American Cherry woodfloors. I don't have squeaky floors anymore. Marjorie's son John laid new green carpet in the bedrooms. Maria helped me pick out the carpet and a new round carpet for the living room.

In 2007 the children paid for and Mark installed new tile in the bathrooms and new granite tops and sinks. My neighbor fixed my dining room table which had had the pedestal split when I had overloaded it with books when the bedrooms were being carpeted.
This simple home and yard have been a labor of love for me and much labor of others but I found the peace I have sought. It has been a refuge for me and a place to carry on my hobbies and projects. I have loved having all the outdoor space and safe places to walk. I have enjoyed the beauty of the lake and trees and mountains. Fortunately I have worked about six months out of the year so I could afford to stay here.
It is my deepest desire I will not have to leave here a day before I need to go. I know that Richard was deeply sorrowful that he was not leaving me secure in a home and I like that Camber analyzed that he had met the "sellers" of this home in paradise and had helped to make it all come true for me. It has been better than anything I could have planned for myself and I so appreciate everyone that has helped me be able to stay here. It is amazing how many people it takes to bring joy into the life of one person. Thank you everyone, I love you all and am so grateful.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far