Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hubby Tag

I wasn't going to do this since I don't currently have a hubby on earth, but he is my eternal companion so here goes...
Name: Richard Clair
How long married: 37 years, 1 month
How long dated before eloping: six weeks.
Who asked who out? He did. He was new in the ward. I had just come back from summer school and turned him down three times in one week (cuz I had other dates). The lady next door to my apt said this guy kept running up my stairs to see if I was there. Finally we went out and my old boyfriend came and interrupted our saying goodnight. I think that is why he was so anxious to get married. He thought I was too popular. Actually it was that I had broken up with this boyfriend I almost married the first of the summer and other friends from the ward asked me out as soon as I came back from summer school. It was a weird week, not the norm of my life.
Who said I love you first: Richard, he took me home to meet his mother the second week after our first date...She gave me the 3rd degree and I wasn't too sure about the whole thing yet, especially her.
How old was he when we married: 28, when he died: 65
Who was taller: Richard, 5 ft 11, me 5 ft 5 1/2 I was attracted to him because he was a "take charge" kind of guy.
Who could sing better: I sang the lullabies to the babies, he sang "The Animal Fair", I am sure the children remember his song better than my lullabies.
Who was smarter: He had a better memory, I could read faster and get to the bottom line faster, he could negotiate better--different gifts entirely.
Who did the laundry: When we were newlyweds and caretakers of an apartment house, he took the laundry to the laundromat and scrubbed the floors and I did the yard work. He never learned how to use the washer and dryer once we had our own.
Who paid the bills: Early in our marriage we got separate checking accounts and I had so much money a month to pay all the house bills and he did the other. Later on, oh well, let's not talk about that...
Who slept on right side of bed: I did, but now I sleep on his side and Bandido sleeps on my side.
Who cooked dinner: I did and always put his plate in the oven as he came home too late for the children to eat with him. Later when I was working we often stopped somewhere. If he came home and no dinner, he never complained but would always find something on his own. He always cleared the table and dishes and rinsed them but would not load them in the dishwasher.
Who ate the most sweets: I definitely ate the most sweets, but he ate the most food and anything I made or bought he would want me to share it with him. When we would fill up the gas tank together he would always buy ice cream snicker bars cuz he knew I loved them.
Who drove: Richard always wanted to drive and he always filled up all the cars with gas. I've missed that a lot.
Who is more stubborn: Toss up, depended on what it was about.
Who kissed who first: He did. I actually didn't think he was a very good kisser at first, to tell you the truth. (Since he can't read this.)
Who proposed? He did, as I say he was a "take charge" person. I was teaching school, he was working in a bank, it was a long time till vacation. He just wanted to get married and wanted to elope on a weekend, but his brother found out and brought his mother and family down to San Diego on a Friday afternoon. It was very embarrassing, I didn't even know them.
Who wore the pants: In our early marriage, he took charge of everything, even calling the babysitter. Later, after his first heart attack, I became more aggressive but not because I wanted to...I wanted to be a princess and have my prince take care of me forever...(at least that is what my gynecologist told me)
Richard was a good husband and father. He is very missed.
Anyone who reads this is tagged!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far