Saturday, July 19, 2008

What's New in Lake Almanor?

Lots of new and large and expensive homes, that is what's new. What a lot of building has gone on...and the lavish landscaping, makes my feeble efforts look very puny. Lake Almanor Country Club is truly becoming a rich man's playground...good thing I am happy to stay in my own backyard with my own set of marbles.
I took some old clothes to the thrift store at the Fire Station and then wandered back on Peninsula to the market. The tennis courts have a store that has cute clothes and other fun things to buy. The food wagon has a big presence at the swimming hole. The place the Pulsiphers have rented (hope it went through) is really fantastic and no one was staying here this week. The Kodiak restaurant has been purchased by someone new and is supposed to be very good called the Q or something like that. The eatery at the miniature golf course is bragging to be the best hamburgers in town.
The boat docks seemed filled with summer boaters but the lake still looks empty. Saw several fisherman in boats by the bridge the other day near Chester. It has not been too hot, in fact in the mid 40's at 6 in the morning but warms up to the 70's quite quickly and in the 80's if you stand in the sun. Beautiful for visitors.
Haven't been to any of the concerts yet but I can hear them and everyone seems happy with them. Monday night dances at the clubhouse are popular I guess but dinner is too expensive for my budget even on that night, $17. Dinner's at Dianna's (clubhouse) are in the $22 to & $29 range for those who want a lush night out other nights of the week. The Peninsula Market has changed hands and is really looking good plus has lots of deli sandwiches and salads as well as terrific looking meat for barbequing. Expensive but nice. As I say it is really getting to be the playground of the rich. Just saw a lakeside lot for sale for $1,300,000 and that is just for the lot!!!!
I am also hearing the honking of geese in my area which I do not remember before. Usually they are down a little closer to the lake. Really noisy. Seems to take a pass or two and then move on and quiet is restored.
Anyway things are looking very prosperous around here. Dyer Mountain Ski/Sun Project is still in foreclosure but they are saying they are just dealing with investors and it is still a go... I am hoping, of course, it never goes. There has already been too much change since I moved here 9 years ago. On the road down to Peninsula Market from Clifford there is another "lots for sale" project as more and more homes are built for the summer crowd.
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention the airport is really improved and expanded so there must be some of the rich that do fly in.
PS Another postive is that one of the homes at the backside of my lot put in deer pleasing grass so the deer are staying away from my place except for potty breaks and sleeping in the night and do most of their eating further back yonder...Yea!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far