Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Janet Shedding Tears?

I am not one to shed real tears very often but for some reason this story really touched my heart and I was laughing and crying at the same time.  See how it touches you.  It is from a talk given in 1987 by Mary Alice Campbell entitled "A View of the Eighties:  What It means to Be a Latter-day Saint Woman Today".

"In Luftkin, Texas, Marsha Ault, who was eight months pregnant, was shopping with her husband and four children. She endured the curious, disapproving, and pitying stares of several of the store's patrons before a woman approached her and asked, "Don't you believe in birth control?"
The question sent Marsha and her children to the car, leaving Marsha's husband to check out the groceries.  Marsha began to cry and her children asked what was wrong.  "I tried to explain that many people nowadays feel it is wrong to have more than one or two children, and that people seemed to think I was very foolish to be having another child.  Then my five-year-old daughter, Ginger, said innocently, 'Mama, we can duck down!'  I have never felt so small."

The thought of this little girl trying to make her Mom feel better with that solution was so sweet.  I am so thankful we were able to raise four beautiful children, I had always intended it to be six but was not that fortunate.   But others are not even that blessed.  Alene Tucker of West Valley, Utah said, "As a twelve-year-old girl, my goals were to go on a mission, get married in the temple, and have eight children.  As a fifty-year-old woman, I hve accomplished one of those goals.  I went on a mission."

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far