Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Optimism, Prayer and Patience

I thought of Maria as I read this message from Norma B. Ashton in her talk entitled "A Unique Melody" but it is really something important for me and all us us to remember.

"How can we solve our problems?  I'm sure there are as many methods as there are challenges in life.  Each of us has different obstacles.

As I was visiting with a friend who is divorced, I asked her what advice she might have.  "First," she said, "Never give up.  This too will pass.  If you look for it, there is always a glimmer of hope.  There is no divorce without hurt, Your earning power is limited.  Widows get a lot of sympathy, but divorcees don't get much attention."

Though she received help from local leaders and singles groups, her greatest strength came when, she said, "I came to realize that I was entitled to answers from God about my problems if I were in tune.  I prayed a lot--a whole lot.  And the answers began to come."

Developing patience is another way to cope with our problems.  Paul advised us, "And let us run with patience the race that is set before us." (Heb 12:1)

When the American hostages came home in 1981 after 444 days of captivity in Iran, I remember what Bruce Laingen, the spokesman for the captives, said when he was asked how he was able to endure it all: "A friend slipped a tiny piece of paper into my hand.  On it these words were written, 'Patience is a bitter cup from which only the strong can drink.' I had these words firmly entrenched in my mind and they helped me through those dark days."

With God's help, and as we help ourselves, our obstacles can be over come.  Optimism, prayer, and patience are all important ingredients.  My husband (Elder Marvin J. Ashton) has helped many people with these words: "No one is a failure until he stops trying.  The direction in which one is headed is the most important."

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far