Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Anna Karenina--Again!

I just watched the Masterpiece Theater version of Anna Karenina which was produced in two episodes in 2001.  I loved this version.  I must have seen four or five by now and, of course, read the book.  I think I need to read the book again.  I just read one opinion that it is the best novel ever written.  I must think so, I never tire of watching the story or reading the book.

Ad for Masterpiece Theater version:
Leo Tolstoy's powerful tale of love and marriage in imperial Russia comes to Masterpiece Theatre in a stunningly modern adaptation of Anna Karenina.

Completed in 1877, Anna Karenina was not the book Tolstoy intended to write. He had been working on a novel about Peter the Great, designed to follow up his spectacular success with War and Peace. But the project went nowhere, and Tolstoy's thoughts turned increasingly to an incident that haunted him: A neighbor's mistress had thrown herself under a train after being jilted by her lover.

From this tragic seed grew a modern epic of sex, duty, marriage, and moral regeneration that many critics consider the greatest novel ever written.

Tolstoy's themes are particularly resonant today, notes executive producer George Faber of Company Television in Britain: "Anna Karenina isn't concerned with observing the minutiae of social etiquette, like Jane Austen, nor with righting social injustices, like Dickens. It's about raw, often uncontrollable passions, emotional and sexual betrayal, mixed-up people with mixed-up lives. It offers no easy solutions or simple moral judgments."

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far