Thursday, February 09, 2012

Swimming Pool in Glendive in 1924

One of my childhood friends, George, sent me some pictures of my hometown.  This was taken in 1924 and I did not move there until I was 15 months old in 1934. 

This is a picture of what was called the Heights and was the North Side of town.  The swimming pool, which later had walks and diving boards and a lovely grass park built all around it with a lovely building with rooms to change your clothes and etc., was just down from our house.

In fact, I can see the Northern Pacific Hospital in the top right and right in front of it was the big house we bought in 1940.  I had heard it was about 50 years old when we bought it.  We had it remodeled when I was in high school.  On the left side of the chimney was a small garage only wide enough for a horse and buggy.

The swimming pool was all cement and had lots of cracks that would be tarred over every year.  It was deep enough that we later had a 10 foot diving board, a 5 foot diving board and a big slide.

Below is a picture of my friend Carla and I with some of the boys from our class.  We were sitting at the edge of the pool.  This was probably about 1947 or 8 or so.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far