Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Thanksgiving Time

Well, it is that time of year again--the saddest time of the year.  It was 18 years ago that Richard died the day before Thanksgiving in Susanville.  We had come to spend the holiday with Maria's family.



My brother David says he feels the same way  as my brother Dick also died at Thanksgiving time and Jeanne's husband died in early November also.  Thanksgiving, a time for remembrance.






 It really hit me this last Sunday as we were singing the first hymn, it was a song I was not familiar with but the music was by Alexander Schreiner, the great organ player and author.  It was "Thy Spirit, Lord, Has Stirred Our Souls".  For some reason it brought tears to my eyes and made me think of those sad Thanksgivings.  I should learn to play it on the organ, it is so beautiful.


Over the years the holidays have just not been the same without Richard in my life. Every year I have to decide, should I decorate for Christmas or not???  Seems I always feel alone, no matter where I am.  The Hardys were thinking about coming up this year for Thanksgiving but I really think it would be better for them to come up when it is warm and there is more to do.  It has been in the 20's the last few nights, the coldest we have had so far and I understand there have been some broken pipes. Thank heaven Matt called and he is coming for Thanksgiving and maybe he will bring a friend, I hope so.


My neighbors were up because some gutter workers found their front door open.  The raccoons had gotten in and made a terrible mess in the kitchen.  It is unbelievable to me as well as to him that he had left the door open.  I have watched them as they close up the house and they are so meticulous.   He is getting older, no doubt.


This month there were so many birthdays.  Kate's was the end of October and then Ryan, Jimmy, Mitch and Maria all had birthdays in November.  I just send the E Cards anymore.


I finally got a speaker for my tablet.  It makes it so much easier when I am doing work and don't have to be so near to hear.  Of course, I have my big speakers I got in Guam but I use them on my computer, I just got one of those little round ones like Linda showed me.


I am listening to the life of Billy Crystal.  He is really an unpretentious nice guy.   So far one of the funniest chapters I thought was his lamenting about how much more fun the Christian holidays were than the Jewish--with Christmas trees and presents and Easter bunnies, chocolate eggs, etc. and the Jewish holidays are all about fasting and asking forgiveness, etc.  It was so funny and I have never heard any Jewish person talk about it like that.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far