Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Yikes--Withdrawal from Topical Steroids?

So the Derm gave me a topical synthetic steroid for my eczema...beware of using too prolonged and then stopping because it causes Red Skin Syndrome and you think your eczema is spreading.  You can get hives, rashes, and what looks like eczema and it continues on and on and gets worse and more itchy than what you began with!!!  And the doctors do not warn you.

There is actually a grass roots organization called ITSAN which addresses the problem and I am totally saturated with all there is to read about it.

And guess what foods make it worse--cow's milk, eggs, soy products, gluten, chocolate, nuts, fish and shellfish.

And which can help--apples, blueberries, cherries, broccoli, spinach, kale and probiotic foods like yogurt, sourdough bread, miso soup, naturally fermented pickles, soft cheese such as Gouda, sauerkraut, kefir, tempeh.

What else can trigger--high sugar foods like cakes, soda, some smoothies, fast food items like burgers.

I think the only things I have not given up by now is eggs!!

Sooooo what now...I am using the moisturizers, and oral antihistamine (Benadryl) and guess I need to change my laundry soap.  I do not suppose I can get rid of dog dander with Sadie around.  And do not wear clothes that irritate (stick with cotten).

So this affects the under 2's and the elderly the most and because our skin is so thin it is even worse, it gets inside the skin and causes problems.  You should not stop taking cold turkey? is a debate.

So not sure nuts caused the eczema but certainly makes it worse...so what did cause it, they do not know.  Curing it is even more of a guess but steroids in any form I think it is best to avoid or only use a little and not the over the counter ones either.  I used several Cortizone before I went to the Dr and got theTriamcinolene.

Anyway looking at the pictures of cases, mine is very mild...so far.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far