Monday, June 25, 2007

Temple Square

Linda and I just ate our lunch at Temple Square. I wanted to show the flowers which are just gorgeous all over the whole area. We worked at the Family History Library today and the lady who was sitting helping us turned out to be one of my roommates when I was a freshman in Allen Hall at BYU. I never recognized her but she said she used to live in Fallon, Nev--and I said, "Oh, I had a roommate at college from Fallon, what's your name?" And it was her. I never realize how old I am until I see someone my own age. I still think of myself at around 40 something with kids that are 20 something...Ha. Anyway she is invaluable. She knows it all and loves to help so that is wonderful.

We also were able to tour the top of the Conference Center. They have an immense plains "prairie" garden as well as many, many trees and bushes and the Christmas Trees are the most beautiful I have ever seen. They grow them in a special product developed for growing on the roof. It is called Utelite and is 50% peat and 50% something else. Regular dirt would be too heavy. The trees are all in pots so the roots cannot go down too far. There is also a large fountain which is directly above the pulpit and has large directions lanes going east, west, north and south and is symbolic of the fulfillment of the D & C scripture that says "Gospel will be preached to all nations, kindred and tongue and is symbolic of the Prophet's words flowing forth to all the world. There is a picture lasered in the granite wall of people from different countries and the scripture. By next conference the gospel will be preached in every language! Anyway very interesting--since 911 you cannot wander up there without a guide. It is also quite a story about the building of the huge auditorium with no beams...

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far