Thursday, April 03, 2008

Sugarholic? Hellooooo...

Today as I was checking out of the grocery store the thought came to me that I wanted to learn moderation in my life regarding sweets. As it is I cannot have sweets in my house as I will eat them immediately until they are gone. I wanted to learn once and for all how to take a piece one day and a piece the next day, etc. Certainly I could do it!!! I have proven I can go without sugar, but only if it is out of sight and out of reach.
So I bought 5 small hershey bars that were on sale....to start my plan... They are all gone tonight. So much for moderation. My only consolation is that I have never cared about drinks, smokes, or drugs, just certain sweets. However, the addictive behavior is there and is certainly something that needs to be overpowered.
This is a test I found on the internet...answer True of False...
"TRUE OR FALSE?"
I don't eat refined sugar every day.
I can go for more than a day without eating some type of sugar-containing food.
I never have cravings for sugar, coffee, chocolate, peanut butter, or alcohol.
I've never hidden candy or other sweets around my home in order to find and eat them later.
I can stop after one piece of candy or one bite of pastry.
There are times when I have no sugar of any kind in my home.
I can go for three or more hours without eating and not experience the shakes, fatigue, perspiration, irritability, depressions, or anxiety.
I can have candy and other sweets in my home and not eat them.
I don't eat something sweet after every meal.
I rarely drink coffee and eat doughnuts or sweet rolls for breakfast.
I can go for more than an hour after waking up in the morning without eating.
I can go from one day to the next without drinking a soft drink.
If you answered "false" to more than four of these statements, chances are that you are sugar-sensitive. You probably are allergic to sugar, and probably are also addicted to it - the same way an alcoholic is addicted to alcohol. You crave sugar, have withdrawal symptoms when you don't get it, and probably feel better for a short time after you've eaten it. In eating sugar to feel better, you are actually making your condition worse.

If you're a sugarholic, your body is telling you quite bluntly that sugar is causing problems. Addiction is closely related to allergy; the body has become so accustomed to compensating for the presence of the allergenic substance that when the substance is removed, withdrawal symptoms occur. Your sugar cravings are a direct indication that sugar is at work destroying your immune system."
I suppose I could blame my mother for my dilema. We always had dessert after our supper meal. It was homemade desserts like: prune whip, rice pudding, bread pudding, pie, cake, cookies, cinnamon rolls, etc. And then, of course, my mom was an expert at making fudge, taffy, penoche, sugared popcorn, popcorn balls, homemade ice cream, homemade rootbeer. And probably we did not have money for a lot of protein, mostly cheaper carbs.
When we were all in the car together and supposedly "sleeping" the rattle of a papersack in the front seat would immediately jar us all awake to ask for a piece of whatever goodie my mom had in the sack. Oh, yes, we lived to expect desserts and treats..
However, we did not have "snacks" we could reach for anytime but meal time or after school treat or special evening treat. So... weight was never a problem and the small waist was with us until we bore children.

So when did the sugar become a problem????
I think whenever I wanted to treat myself because I was "overworked", "depressed", "sad", "happy", "excited", "needed a reward", "needed love". In other words, it is all emotional eating, whether happy or sad. It was always a form of reward. How often did I hear? "Who wants a treat? Let's have a treat? What treat shall we have?" So it has become a part of my life.
I remember one night at college when I was living in Helamon Halls and the little store that had the licorice candy I loved was not only across campus but down the hill--at least a half hour or more away. I just had to go get that candy, nothing else would do, and I went... My roommates thought I was crazy.
I also remember when a boyfriend and I had a spat. As soon as he left, I went to the kitchen and made some penoche.
The most successful and happiest I have been is when I have been able to go 30 days without sugar and then I lose the craving for a time. However, I CANNOT HAVE IT IN MY HOME. And if I go somewhere else and it is offered I will probably succumb. Truly it is like an alcoholic.
So how am I going to conquer this? No one can make a suggestion unless they have the same problem and have conquered it! Guess I need a Sugarholics Anonymous Club.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far