Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Helicopters in Korean War and After

While watching "Bridges over Toko-Ri" today I learned the Korean War ended in 1953 (Richard was in the Navy 52-53) and that was the first time they had used helicopters on carriers. They were used to save the downed pilots.

This made me curious as to what the helicopter pilot I was dating in 56-58 was doing since he wasn't in the Korean War. So I emailed him. (You know how curious I am.) This was his reply:
"Jan - my carrier was composed of S2F patrol bombers and our HS-6 helicopter squadron. We were all anti-submarine although we picked up folks in trouble and I do remember putting a wheel on a submarine conning tower to deliver the mail!! "

"We would spread out in an arc ahead of the fleet and use sonar to find submarines. I remember complaining to my CO that 'We find these guys, but then they take off in a hurry and we lose them--depth charges are not going to be effective'. (the subs were capable of 30 mph under water). I never forgot his reply- he told me that if the submarines were hostile- we had nuclear weapons and anything within 2 miles would be toast-"
"Jan, it is still alot of fun to think about those days. I am also very grateful that I came through with no accidents. One of my roommates was killed and another lost a leg in a crash."
If I ever knew all of that, I surely don't remember...anyway it was interesting to me after watching the helicopters in the movie.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far