Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Aftermath of Katrina

Today I learned the group of us in training here in Fort Worth are a "test group" to see if the Sacramento office can be used for processing disaster loans while being under the leadership of the Texas office.
It was very interesting to learn of everything that went wrong after Katrina hit and what has been done to make sure all those things never happen again.
Previously the DCMS loan program was built with the idea of being used by a maximum of about 2500 loan officers, now 12,000 can be online at once. Previously they had two scanners in this office, now there are 52.
They had geared up to be able to handle a disaster twice as large as the Northridge, CA earthquake since it was the largest they had previously handled. Then Katrina hit and it was six times as large!
Anyway it is amazing all the work they have done to correct everything that went wrong. We also watched a CNN presentation on the insurance problem with the argument over whether it was the water or wind that caused all the damage--and what the insurance companies would not pay for. It does matter what home insurance company you have and you should understand your policy very well!
I know this news is not as exciting as Maria's news but this is my life...a man told me today he was older than me... I am three months older than him and the oldest one in the group as usual. All the people I used to work with remember me and talk to me though, that is nice.
When Betsy and I went to the Verizon store we giggled at the fact the Verizon man explained the directions to her like I was too old to understand. C'est la vie!

2 comments:

The Massey Family said...

That is scary about the homeowner's insurance...you think if you have it you are all set, but I guess not!

Linda said...

Interesting, I'm glad the government is striving to work more efficiently. There must be some value in being old enough that people don't expect much from you (the verizon guy anyway). I know you are just as smart as all those younger guys. (Smarter, because you have experience.)

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far