Sunday, September 14, 2008

Aftermath of Ike

Hurricane Ike came in a little less than expected but powerfully more damage done in the areas I was in after Hurricane Rita. Beaumont was without power for a month after Rita, this time there is more flooding and damage as well as the power outage. Galveston was inundated with water. Even their precious wall that was built after the flood in 1900 was compromised. They are still searching for bodies. Thousands stayed behind even though their was mandatory evacuation. Of course, the rescues go on with the taxpayers money. And Houston didn't have near the destruction it had this time.
Someone told me the reason people stay behind is they had just run from Gustav on Labor Day weekend and there wasn't much damage and they just can't afford to leave. I understand that except that buses were provided and free places to stay...so you wonder.
So...I think SBA's forward planning was timely and I may be working a bit more than a month.
They were to fly us out on Sunday originally, then thought about getting us out ahead of the storm and finally settled on Monday, so we head for Sacramento tomorrow. I will be at the Homewood Suites behind the Galleria Mall in Roseville--hmm, that sounds dangerous.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far