Monday, September 01, 2008

Humboldt Summit and Valley Loop

 
Today Marjorie and I went on an adventure in Plumas County Backcountry. It was to be a 4 hr drive through the Humboldt Summit and Valley Loop. It took us 8 hrs!!! Luckily, though there were few people on the road, we surprised a couple on a dead end road who directed us back to a wrong turn, and then a couple picking gooseberries sent us merrily on our way home and advised us to get there before dark, but we were still doing our last leg at 8:30 PM!!
Although we had directions and a map there were so many logging roads and camp roads it was easy to make a wrong turn, which we did!! We enjoyed our hike up to the Humboldt Summit even though it had not been cleared and we had to go over trees, under trees, through trees.
It was a very interesting trip but I don't think I would recommend it unless they do something to the roads. There were so many rocks and bumps and dips, my car and tires will never be the same. We were very, very blessed to have returned safely! It could have been disastrous because it was so deserted today. We also forgot to let anyone know where we were going.
 
We saw some evergreens we were not familiar with that had these "frosted" cones all over their tops. This was also the area where the bees went after me--liked my sandwich or perfume or hairspray or something and I did get a little sting on my wrist.
This is on the drive from Humbug Summit to Humbug Valley--the road is lined with these beautiful Christmas Trees and there are many more large groves of them.


Bandido was very dirty from the soft, soft dirt and was a reluctant hiker. Great view, though, and I can assure you we will never run out of trees! This is from the Humboldt Summit.

1 comment:

Linda said...

That sounds like a wonderful day, but did you two ladies let anyone know where you were in case something happened and you didn't return before dark?

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far