Sunday, October 19, 2008

Tender Mercy...

Was on me tonight. I wasn't thinking well, very tired but I hadn't shopped for two weeks and tomorrow is another 10 hr day and I had no lunch food, etc. so I felt terrible being one of those Sunday shoppers at Wal Mart, but there I was.
After I left, I missed my turn on Galleria and ended up in Rocklin and had to swing back so it was about 30 minutes before I arrived home and then I realized I didn't have my billfold!!! I must have left it in the cart when I unloaded. Would anyone actually find it and turn it in???
I hurried back and looked in the cart holder where I had put mine, not there, all the time saying silent prayers and thinking how was I going to cancel all those cards before someone had a buying spree. I had my cards, which I seldom use, the government card, my debit card with all my savings--over $50,000 total in chargable cards... plus about $100 in cash. Would anyone turn that in???
As I was waiting for a clerk in customer service I was trying to imagine what I would do if she said it wasn't there...who would I call first, what would they do to me for losing a government card, why do I carry all that in my billfold with my drivers license, SS card. It is stupid. I seldom use any but my gas card and debit card for grocercies and cash. Why do I carry them all together?
Finally it was my turn. She said, "Yes, I do think someone turned one in a little while ago. We have it locked up. Let me ask my supervisor." Her supervisor comes back WITH THE BILLFOLD! She said, "You know, our customers are so good. We get lots of billfolds turned in. Most people think that no one will turn them in but they do."
Sort of makes you feel good about mankind doesn't it and...tender mercies of the Lord, taking care of me.
Oh, and all that cash was still there...

3 comments:

takealetter said...

I did the same thing at Walmart one night...it was still in the basket when I went back. So glad you got it back, that is always such a panic.

The Massey Family said...

Thank goodness! I did the same thing in college...I was sitting on the lawn in the center of campus and I left my wallet right there in the middle of the grass. When I came back an hour later, it was still in the same spot! So many people walk across that lawn...I was so releived when I found it. I have to say though, you ARE lucky in Sacramento....there are a lot of ghetto people there and crime is so high...you are lucky it was returned! (Maybe Rocklin is nicer than downtown?)

Linda said...

You are blessed and being watched over, that is good (not all walmart shoppers are honest). You probably shouldn't keep all those cards in one place though. Glad everything turned out ok, sorry you have such long work days and not more rest days.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far