Saturday, November 01, 2008

On Voting!

I did get to vote yesterday by absentee ballot. I didn't know if I would be able to with this traveling around...
Earlier in the week I had received a card from my Plumas Registrar stating that I had recently registered as a Democrat and questioning if I had moved. I immediately wrote them a letter about my experience. I told them that:

After being in Texas and arriving in Sacramento I saw a voter register person in front of WalMart and told him I needed to get an absentee ballot but I lived in Plumas County and what should I do? (I should have known better, these guys are just paid to get registrations and probably know nothing about what I asked) Anyway he said to just register here and he would take care of it. So I did. Anyway I also told the Registrar that I had certainly never registered as a Democrat.
Surprisingly I received a call from a lady at the Registrar's Office and they said they were sorry for my experience but they would send a ballot right out and to get it back asap. And yes, the Democrat box was checked by someone!! They also said if I wanted to change that I would have to register again before the next election.

Anyway I felt like a really important person instead of just a number that they would give me that kind of attention to actually call me at the office and send a ballot! Yesterday I went out for lunch and saw this written in a community newspaper:
"This has seemingly been the most antagonistic and violent campaign period in our lifetime. From stolen signs from people's front yards, to vandalism, to beatings by opponents, Americans have faced a stress-filled two years of a barrage of accusations from all parties and a relentless television schedule of pundits points of view that has given the voting public more than we need to know, and very little of what "we need to know."
And isn't that so true!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far