Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

Wow, it is really going to happen, we are actually having Thanksgiving Dinner in my hotel room--it is a open doubled sized room which I like better than a bedroom and living room suite.
It was so nice having all the wonderful side dishes that everyone brought--so much better than one meal at the Black Angus and that is it--the turkey was not that great, too bad about that but as Maria says, "the turkey is the least part of it" so true.
It was so nice having Maria and all the Valko kids here for Thanksgiving--this has been an especially lonely deployment. I don't know what I would have done if Michael hadn't been here to go out with on Saturdays.
Thanks Valkos for all the good food and fun on Thanksgiving...I had to go to bed early, work the next day at 7 AM but they let us out early at 1:30 and I enjoyed seeing Grass Valley again and the charming city of Nevada City with Maria and Matt.
Loved this Spinach Dip of Melissa's and the ramaki of Michaels--sooo good.
Maria's creamed corn was fantastic as always and she made lots! And her new recipe for yams was really good too.
And Melissa's new way to do pumpkin pie was delicious.
It was all very good except for the turkey...
It was a beautiful drive on Saturday through Auburn, Sierra Valley and Placerville's Apple Hill with Mike and Maria. I had the best apple turnover I think I have every eaten. I have a very special memory of buying apple turnovers at the Bakery in Glendive as a child and teenager and having the flaky crust get all over your clothes...always looking for some as good. These were. Nice Thanksgiving, nice weekend. Thanks kids!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I miss being with 'my' family, I would have liked to be there with you and Maria, it looks like a lot of fun. I'm sorry we won't be together for Christmas either, but I'm looking forward to haveing Kristi here with her babies (and Amy and Craig home).

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far