Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Coming Home

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the two episode British version of "Coming Home" by Rosamond Pilcher.  Of course, I had read it, I read all her books and it did seem a little familiar but not enough so that I would quit watching.  Very good.  It is always fun to watch people with money, being nice, and sharing their wealth and good times with others.  Would be fun to know someone like that.  I think the reason I do not recognize a book I read is that I picture the characters in my mind and the actors they choose do not always fit the version in my head.  I think I need to read it again.  Too bad I gave away all my Pilcher books to the library.

Synopsis:
Against the backdrop of an elegant Cornwall mansion before World War II and a vast continent-spanning canvas during the turbulent war years, this involving story tells of an extraordinary young woman's coming of age, coming to grips with love and sadness, and in every sense of the term, coming home...


In 1935, Judith Dunbar is left behind at a British boarding school when her mother and baby sister go off to join her father in Singapore. At Saint Ursula's, her friendship with Loveday Carey-Lewis sweeps her into the privileged, madcap world of the British aristocracy, teaching her about values, friendship, and wealth. But it will be the drama of war, as it wrenches Judith from those she cares about most, that will teach her about courage...and about love.

 Teeming with marvelous, memorable characters in a novel that is a true masterpiece, Coming Home is a book to be savored, reread, and cherished forever.

It seems the biggest problem we have in our relationships is speaking up and expressing what we are thinking...and asking the hard questions.  Instead we just assume and stay quiet. "Never assume" is a good rule to live by in life as well as the mortgage business.

I am so mad at myself.  They had the book sale at the Chester library on Sunday.  I had wanted to buy the book about the Chester library cat who died.  My neighbor here in Lake Almanor had written and printed the book and was donating all her sales to the library.  I am so forgetful...  I had just told her on Friday I would be there!


No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far