Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Thoughts on Lincoln, BYU and Righteous Living

I just finished the Lincoln Series on PBS.  It was so excellent and I learned so much.  Poor Mary Todd.  I did not realize she had such a hard time emotionally.  I loved  listening to Abraham Lincoln's speeches.  He worked so hard on the words but it was the heart and spirit of them that was so profound.  How wonderful it would be now to be led by men in government who had a deep faith in God and sought inspiration in their law making.  I am so disgusted with our government leaders. 

Sunday I spoke in church with Kaylene.  She is off to BYU this year and it is 60 years since I attended.  I was remembering all those good things about going to college, and how much I loved my time there.  Kaylene said she was more excited than ever after hearing my comments.  She is so talented and has such confidence, she will do well.

The subject I spoke on was Elder L. Tom Perry's address on "The Tradition of  a Balanced, Righteous Life" which he had given at Utah Valley University.  I also put in a few thoughts from his life story and his fireside speech at BYU in March.  He has lived a very righteous life of success in the business world and then as a General Authority.  We are so fortunate to have his caliber of men to lead and teach us in the church, if only our government leaders could be half so competent and righteous.

I think this message was especially intended for me.  I have such a hard time living a balanced life.  When I am stressed out (which has been nonstop for the last 30 years I think) I eat badly and gain weight and then I try to lose weight and it is a vicious circle.  When I read, I read nonstop and then I won't read for a long time.  I can't seem to just lived a balanced, even life with no stress, no indulgence, no sadness, the right foods, consistent exercise, daily scriptures, etc.   How do people do that?  It can't be just that they have money and I don't, because a lot of people with money live very crazy lives.  I know exactly what to do, I just don't do it...Why?

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far