Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Good Reads!

On my quick trip to Kelly's Wedding I listened to some great audios.

"The Fixer Upper" by Mary Kay Andrews was really fun.  This is how it is described:
A sassy, sexy, sometimes poignant look at small town Southern life, as only New York Times bestseller Mary Kay Andrews can tell it, The Fixer Upper is a must-read for fans of Fannie Flagg, Sophie Kinsella, the Ya-Yas, and the Sweet Potato Queens, and for every reader obsessed with decorating and home repair. It is a truly delectable story of a woman whose professional fall from grace lands her back in a hometown she never knew, amongst a gothic Southern family she’s never met, and saddled with a task she could never have imagined. 

The next book was "Etta"--a historical novel based on diaries, etc.  Etta was the girlfriend of The Sundance Kid and what a life she had.  You will love hearing (or reading) about it.

The last book was 'The Summons' by John Grisham.  I had to finish that when I arrived back home as each of the other books were 12-13 hrs long.  It was another great Grisham story as only he can  tell them and I liked the way it was read. 

I love it when I choose fun and interesting books.  We are so fortunate to have so many wonderful authors to choose to read.  Currently I am listening to "The Hunger Games" and every day I threaten to discontinue.  I doubt I will go on with the sequels.  I don't like science-fiction and I really don't like the violent theme of this book.  Why is it reported as being so great?  I don't get it.

Another book I just listened to--well, not all of it was Steven Tyler's autobiography.  I was curious after seeing him on American Idol.  He obviously has the musical talent but I just don't get the filthy language and sex and drugs.  Is that the only way they can write rock and roll?  I listened to 'Aerosmith' and certainly not my kind of music.  I am definitely from another culture and another generation.  I wonder if his father liked his music.  He told about being brought up playing under the grand piano hearing his father play as a concert pianist all the great music of the centuries.  Such a change to go to rock and roll.  He has survived all his rehabs and wives and girlfriends and made the money and is famous...that says it all, I suppose, what do I know.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far